Technical Writer Job Descriptions
Below are some descriptions of technical writing jobs. The links may not work because I assume the job postings will come down after a job gets filled. However, the goal of this page is to show the skills and requirements asked for by a selection of technical writing jobs.
If you're accessing this for class, the following links are part of our discussion:
Northop Grumman--Accessed 2/06/2009
Title: VITA Program - Technical Writer
Category: Information Systems
Location: Chester, VA / USA | Sector: Information TechnologyOpportunities
The Technical Writer is responsible for technical writing and editing, to include data markings, file formats, and storage organization. The Technical Editor must ensure production of high quality VITA documentation. Duties and Responsibilities: Implement the Documentation Requirements, to include tracking due dates, working with tower members on their documentation, implementing documentation standards and procedures, and checking for compliance throughout the team. Conduct training sessions, when applicable, for other technical editors on any new procedures or tools. Implement continuous Process Improvement efforts and communicate ongoing activities, analyses results, actions taken, and resulting process changes to the Documentation and Training Manager. Identify, gather, and report internal metrics to the Documentation and Training Manager. Work to ensure the Electronic Data Repository is comprehensive and meets organizational standards. Attend meetings with the customer as required. Bachelor's degree and 3 years of related experience required, or equivalent years of experience.
TechLink, Inc.--Accessed 2/06/2009
Our direct client located in New York City has 1-2 month consulting position available for a Technical Writer.
If you are interested, please send a copy of your resume. Please be sure to include contact information along
with the best time to reach you.
The client is building a new multi media product so we would prefer to have a person that has worked on web based/ flash based applications.
- Strong documentation backgroundAbility to own the documents
- Able to ask people information about the product
- Expert usage of Microsoft Word and PowerPoint
- Strong experience with Microsoft Excel and Visio; May need other web publishing experience or ability to quickly
- Independent and proactive worker
|Company: Montvale, NJ
EXCITING OPPORTUNITY WITH FAST GROWING COMPANY! Adecco is the global leading staffing provider with over 6600 offices in 60 countries. We are currently seeking a Technical Writer for a leading supplier of boilers and water heating products, and the originator of semi-instantaneous water heating located in Northvale, NJ. Responsibilities include updating current manuals and creating manuals for new products for the boiler, hot water heater and control system lines. Minimum of 3 years of technical writing experience in any industry. Experience with Visio or some other illustration software required. Experience with preparing illustrations is essential. This is a temporary to permanent position. Excellent benefits available upon hire!
Sunrise Systems Inc.
Hello,Our Major Fortune 500 client in Beaverton,OR is looking for an Expert Technical Writer. Please send resumes
- 6 years of relevant experience required
- Develop user guides, standard operating procedures, documents, instructional outlines, and quick reference materials; leverage existing materials to minimize development time when possible
- Proof read and/or edit technical documents and training material written by others; provide hands-on editing of e-learning or web-based content including software simulations
- Develop formal style guides to ensure consistency and sustainability of content
- Collaborate with subject matter experts, developers, and trainers to validate content
- Manage source files, create and maintain archival system for documentation
- Provide training and expertise to other material developers
- Support training website communications and content updates as necessary
- Bachelor's degree in a communications related field or technical subject; Instructional Design experience desirable; Equivalent combination of education and related work experience will be considered; 3-5 years of documentation experience
- Experience developing technical e-learning courses and proficiency with tools such as Captivate, Adobe Photoshop and Flash desirable; knowledge of web-development tools and e-learning technologies/platforms (HTML and Learning Management Systems)
- Excellent writing and communication skills with advanced proficiency in Word, Excel & PowerPoint
- Excellent research and problem solving skills with a strong attention to detail
- Experience in managing training projects and meeting deadlines
- 6 years of Technical Writer experience required.
Web/Internet; Technical/Content Writer
Technical Writer, MS Office
Location: Charlotte, NC
Experience Level: Midlevel,Senior
Pay Rate: Market
Duration: 6 Months
We are looking for a technical writer to join the EAM project to support the Training development for the project.
The EAM project will consolidate the Carolinas and Midwest Work Management and Supply Chain systems onto a common platform (Maximo).
This role is for a training designer / developer to support development of training material on the *Work Management* business processes in the new Maximo system.
Responsible for creating training design documents from project documentation (process flows, change impact documentation, application functional design documents, misc design documents, SME interviews, etc.).
Responsible for creating student and instructor training material, job aids, and step-by-step instructions from training design documentation for Work Management ERP system (Maximo 6.2.3).
Responsible for adhering to training design standards.
Responsible for incorporating Adult Accelerated Learning principles into course material.
Responsible for reporting progress on assigned deliverables.
Responsible for collaborating and communicating with business project team members/Subject Matter Experts.
Responsible for incorporating changes resulting from training QA reviews and system testing.
Responsible for setting-up data in Maximo needed to support training exercises.
Skills Must Have:
Clear and concise communication skills, both written and oral.
Expert with MS Office and use of style sheets.
Training experience (either as a developer or as a trainer).
Work Management operational experience (or consulting in operations).
Experience completing project deliverables required to support project schedule.
Ability to work in a matrixed team environment, with employees and consultants.
Comfortable working with resources in various locations.
Experience in large scale implementations.
Maximo or other ERP experience.
Nice to Have: 1. Utility experience 2. Experience with Captivate. 3. Experience with Dreamweaver
Job Location: Golden , CO
US Job Category: Information Technology
- Familiar with Golden systems is a PLUS Assignment Description.
- Technical Writer to flush out, gather together business processes, tech processes to write Playbook for Company products at Golden good tech writing skills---along with the ability to interact with the users and elicit requirements.
- Other Notes/Comments: this role will be kind of a blend of legacy BA/SA/tech writer functions.
- Travel may be required
Location: Manhattan, NY; Hoboken, NJ
Salary: $20.00/hour - $25.00/hour
Position Type: Full-time, Employee
Category: Information Technology
Education: Bachelor of Science
Experience: At Least 3 Years
Skills: Technical Writer, Tech Writer, technical writing, tech writing, Enterprise Software, Software, Documentation
This is a contract that may move to a permanent position within 1 years.
Technical Writer - Tech Writer
We are looking for someone with a background documenting software, writing manuals, working with multi-media materials to design, develop, create and deliver all tools for end users, administrators and internal customers.
What you will be doing!
- Develop User Guides,
- Create Administrator guides,
- Write Installation guides,
- Determine context-sensitive help systems,
- Work on white papers, and
- Multimedia help systems and demos based on engineering and marketing specifications.
What you need to have!
- 2+ years experience as Technical Writer
- Enterprise Software experience
- B.S.; B.A. in related field
- Excellent Communication Skills
So, if you have 2+ years technical writing experience we want to talk with you. Apply today!
Vicom Staffing--Accessed 2/06/2009
|Company: Vicom Staffing
Our client is a large consumer services company who is searching for Technical Writer to assist their manager with a critical project. The consultant will be working with the content developer developing policies/procedures for their Helpdesk area.
Robert Half Technology--Accessed 2/06/2009
A Robert Half Technology client in the San Gabriel Valley is seeking a Technical writer to join their expanding team. This technical writer should be proficient in (or possess an understanding of) Engineering , Engineering terminology, etc...The selected person will be responsible forthe overall development, planning, writing, translation, and maintenance of all technical documentation. The right person will be team oriented, self assertive, adaptive, and possess the ability to work with multiple tiers of echelon throughout the company (including executives, application engineers, engineers (R & D), and Marketing specialists.If you, or someone you know is a solid Technical Writer, and is looking for a great opportunity to join a company that is expanding even in todays market.
An understanding of Engineering terminology.
Other desired skills:
|Education: Not Specified
|Relocation Assistance: Not-Available
|Visa Sponsorship: Not-Available
Silent Systems Inc.--Accessed 2/06/2009
The Technical Writer is responsible for updating standard marketing, sales and client materials. The Associate will be responsible for completing all projects in a timely and accurate fashion. Provide a high level of client service to internal clients, which includes distribution, consultant relations, marketing and all investment divisions.
Technical Writer: the Technical Writer will work with business Subject Matter Experts to develop and update procedural documentation for the Executive Benefits New Business Department pursuant to established documentation standards and templates. This person will also consult with the business to prioritize documentation needs and meet expected deliverable dates.
Four year college degree with equivalent work experience in technical writing
Strong organizational skills
Technical writing certification beneficial but not required
Experience with OnDemand, FSPro, SnagIt and RoboHelp preferred
Applicants should be prepared to submit work samples
Desired: Operating System: Windows 2000 Development Tools: ROBO Help Professional: Business Writing, Documentation, Oral Communication, Organization, Teamwork Business: Life-NB Network: HTML Desktop: Basic Knowledge Miscellaneous: HTML Office/Email: MS Word, Outlook, Typing.
BAE Systems--Accessed 2/06/2009
Washington Navy Yard, DC United States
BAE SYSTEMS is looking for a talented Technical Writer / Editor to join a team of talented professionals. Our mission is to integrate traditional technical writer and editing functions into a fast pased intelligence community mission.
- Work with the Customer in a production support branch assisting in the production and dissemination of finished geospatial intelligence information.
- Work with customers to determine appropriate products for disseminating intelligence manuscripts.
- Edit documents and manage the production of Customer briefing materials and visual aids, and other products, as required.
- Ensure classification markings provided by customers are appropriate and properly applied.
- Conduct final reviews of text, graphics, and other formats for Customer intelligence products.
- Coordinate and disseminate finished intelligence products as required. All work shall be tracked and completed within established timelines.
- Provide quality control in accordance with Customer policy and standards for intelligence products.
- Attend regularly scheduled production support meetings and stay current with ongoing production support initiatives.
- Generate, format, and release electronic reports using a variety of computer systems and applications.
- Review intelligence products to ensure consistency with Customer standards and guidelines for reporting, classification, and releasability.
- Enter appropriate codes, identifiers, and keywords into the appropriate archival databases.
- Formulate simple queries for relevant databases.
- Verify that documents and products are appropriately classified.
- Produce publications in accordance with Customer standards, style guidance and publication policies.
- Provide advice and/or edit documents for logic, clarity, comprehensiveness, relevance and organization, format, flow, grammar, punctuation, and spelling for compliance with Customer standards, style guidance, and publication policies.
- Record changes in hardcopy and softcopy and, when necessary, communicate changes to customers by using online editing functions.
- Perform daily production quality control procedures.
- Resolve work-related technical problems.
- Demonstrate customer service excellence by clearly and concisely communicating work status, methods, instructions, problems, requirements, options, and concerns with team members, managers, and customers within the Customer Community.
- Participate in meetings with customers, team members, contractors, and others to exchange information, make decisions, and/or provide updates.
- Support the office and other branches in accomplishing the Customer's overall mission, including expedite crisis work, special assignments, and ad hoc asking on variously scheduled arrangements.
- Organize personal work schedule to facilitate task completion and maximize use of time.
Government Works--Accessed 2/06/2009
Job Offer: Technical Writer for Columbus OH We have a position for a Technical Writer for our our project in Columbus OH with Dept of Defense This is a exciting and challenging Federal Government assignment that will significantly enhance your experience and skills. The work site is in County: Franklin, Columbus OH The Candidate will collect and maintain physical property inventory information from DoD sites within the continental United States. Travel Requirements: May include up to 25% travel to DoD sites within the continental United States. If you also feel that you can handle the assignment please email your resume (in Word format) and contact details.
Technical Writer 1-2 Yrs
Location: Columbus, OH
FUNCTIONAL DESCRIPTION OF CANDIDATE NEEDED: Technical Writer
- Strong English Language Oral and Written Communication Skills
- Strong Analytical Skills
- Works well with technical team members as well as individually
- Self-Starter with ability to quickly learn new technologies
- Demonstrated ability to fulfill all aspects of the job so that projects are completed on time, within budget and with the agreed to scope.
- Demonstrated ability to create technical documentation and reports for clear, concise and sufficient to meet the needs of internal and external clients. This includes user guides, operational procedures, service catalogues, service level agreements, service level reports, etc.
- Demonstrated ability to accept user feedback and address issues with technical documentation.
- Demonstrated ability to work within the context of multiple projects and programs to ensure success in meeting enterprise goals.
- Demonstrated ability to create technical documents required by an enterprise organization.
STATEMENT OF WORK:
- Under general direction, is responsible for preparing and/or maintaining systems, programming, and operations documentation, procedures, and methods including user manuals and reference manuals.
- Maintains current internal documentation libraries.
- Provides or coordinates special documentation services as required.
- Competent to work at the highest level of all phases of documentation.
- May act as project leader for large documentation jobs.
- Creates technical documentation and reporting for customer.
- Coordinates with leaders and client stakeholders to integrate with other projects and programs at DMDC.
- Applies metrics to monitor the quality of technical documentation.
- Follows DMDC's System Development Life Cycle to ensure consistency and quality of delivery.
- Follows technical guidelines defined by DMDC's Architecture Programming Office (APO) to ensure that solutions meet DMDC and DoD guidelines.
- Embrace Industry Best Practices to exceed customer expectations through innovation and excellence
|Intuit is seeking an information designer to help make its leading personal financial software understandable and easy to use. You’ll create user assistance wherever it works best; in the interface, in help systems, on the Web – wherever you anticipate a need.
We’re looking for someone who can think about our products end-to-end to help us deliver the best user experience possible. You'll work on cross-functional teams of programmers, product managers, engineers, and usability experts -- all devoted to improving the customer experience.
Great verbal communication and influencing skills are a must.
You’d be a great fit for our team if you:
•Can turn complex finance terminology into easy to understand language.
•Think outside the book. You know that great assistance is delivered when a user needs it, not by searching in an index.
•Understand that less is more; the right sentence is more powerful than the wrong paragraph.
•Have suggested UI changes to improve the product instead of creating long Help topics.
•Have exceptional technical writing skills and a proven track record of creating messaging, online Help systems, and in-product text that makes complex subjects understandable to end users
•Are flexible. Be able to let go of your work and change priorities as needed.
•Understand how to use diplomacy to influence others on a cross functional team
•Aren’t scared of technology. We tread boldly into the future by using a variety of engineering-centric tools.
•Actually believe you can make a difference in the lives of customers
As an information designer, you’ll determine the need and create the best assistance including UI text, help topics, messaging and more. As in integral part of the development team, you’ll help keep the team mindful of your user – every step of the way. As a member of the broader information design team, you’ll gain area expertise and become a mentor to other writers.
||•Extensive experience designing information sets and writing onscreen user assistance.
•Demonstrable HTML skills. You’re comfortable using a text editor to write content.
•Strong project management and scheduling skills.
•The curiosity to troubleshoot. Your first instinct is to fix it yourself.
•Experience working with and influencing a cross-functional development team
•Experience writing web assistance content
•Experience blogging and moderating online forums
•Experience working in an agile development environment